BOOTSPLASH="no"
SAVE_CONFIG="yes"
DEBUGLEVEL=5
BOOTLOADER="grub"
USECOLOR="yes"

cd /usr/src/linux
zcat /proc/config.gz > .config
make oldconfig
genkernel --kernname=WhateverFitsMyMood all

the above gives you you the power to configure your kernel to suit
your needs, -and- makes genkernel useful as a time-saving 'ok, just
build it ' tool :)

Of course it did help when that bug in genkernel mid2005 was fixed ;),
a trunicated grub.conf is no fun.

On 5/19/07, Roy Wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman wrote:
> arnuld wrote:
> > 1.) i had a Serial-ATA drive and AMD64 on ASUS with VIA chipsets.
> > kernel-compilation part of Handbook asks to choose PPP options and MCE
> [...]
> > other motherboards, Intel e.g., but we can leave that to the user for
> > finding the specific SATA and PATA drivers inthe kernel.)
>
> Well, if you are brave enough to configure your own kernel... don't
> complain!
>
> genkernel works fine, most of the times.

genkernel is for wimps...  Way to go arnuld!

Seriously, genkernel is fine for liveCD and the first month for a NOOB.
But to really learn/exploit/enjoy/appreciate Gentoo, you gotta have it
your way...  If not, then you might as well be running ubuntu...  :-)

Have fun,
Roy

Gentoo x86, ~x86, PS3

Kent
ruby -e '[1, 2, 4, 7, 0, 9, 5, 8, 3, 10, 11, 6, 12, 13].each{|x|
print "enNOSPicAMreil [EMAIL PROTECTED]"[(2*x)..(2*x+1)]}'