On Sunday 20 of May 2007 16:47:00 Mick wrote:
> On Sunday 20 May 2007 13:53, Jure Varlec wrote:
> > On Sunday 20 of May 2007 13:24:09 Mick wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > I am trying to get to grips with OpenSSL Certs in Kmail.  I have
> > > created a CA and then created and signed with it a certificate for my
> > > email account (crt). Finally, I exported it as a pkcs12 bundle and
> > > tried to import it as smime into Konqueror & Kmail.  All went seemingly
> > > well, except for:
> > >
> > > 1. When I tried to specify which cert to use in
> > > Kmail/Indentity/Cryptography I can see my imported Cert, but as I
> > > select it a red X comes up on the key symbol.  I assume then that it is
> > > not suitable for smime
> > > signatures/encryption?
> > > 2. When I run gpgsm -K I get:
> > > ===========================================
> > > [snip]
> > >      validity: 2007-05-19 18:12:12 through 2010-05-18 18:12:12
> > >      key type: 4096 bit RSA
> > >     key usage: [error: No value]
> > >  chain length: [error: No value]
> > > ===========================================
> > >
> > > which is different to another certificate I have obtained from
> > > www.cacert.org: ===========================================
> > >  validity: 2007-04-23 13:49:42 through 2007-10-20 13:49:42
> > >      key type: 2048 bit RSA
> > > ext key usage: emailProtection (suggested), clientAuth (suggested),
> > > 1.3.6.1.4.1.311.10.3.4 (suggested), serverGatedCrypto.ms (suggested),
> > > serverGatedCrypto.ns (suggested)
> > > ===========================================
> > >
> > > Any ideas what I need to do to make this certificate valid for use by
> > > Kmail?
> > >
> > > PS. I am not sure if the above errors mean that there is anything wrong
> > > with my certificate, as opposed to Kmail & Kleopatra.  Any certificate
> > > signed messages that I receive are not verified in Kmail - all I get
> > > is: ====================================================
> > > Not enough information to check signature. [Details]

> > > If I press on [Details] Kleopatra pops up showing my cert.  Selecting
> > > Verify just shows "done".
> > >
> > > Have you managed to make smime work with Kmail at all?
> >
> > Hello
> >
> > Heh, I dealt with a similar problem about a week ago. I'm not sure I'll
> > ever understand all these certificate issues that seem to crop up on just
> > about all platforms I ever used.
> >
> > As, for the solution, it seem Kleopatra wants app-crypt/dirmngr, emerging
> > it solved my problem. I'm not sure why relevant KDE apps don't depend on
> > it.
>
> Thanks Jure, I'm afraid it didn't help in my case.  :(
>
> When I try to sign a message with my cacert.org certificate it fails
> with: "Signing failed: General error".  Adding my selfsigned certificate
> also fails (but his may have something to do with the way I generated the
> certificate, rather than Kmail).  This is sooo complicated compared to
> GnuPG.
>
> Anything else I could try?

Hm, installing dirmngr should at least get rid of the "Not enough information
to check signature" problem. *shrugs*
I suggest you start kwatchgnupg, it listens on the gnupg socket and displays
all messages your apps send through there. It's the only way I found to see
what's actually going on, because kmail's and kleopatra's error messages
couldn't be less informative.

Hopefully, that should give a clue as to what to do next.

Regards
Jure