You are right I think.
If nothing else the handbook says that Gentoo etiquite says not
to rsync your portage tree more than once a day.  For the average
distro, once a week or even once a month is more than sufficient
to keep up with the packages in the main branch.

I think that I will probably be better off doing a stage three
install, then doing an 'emerge -euD world' or similar before
moving on from there.  After that, I can just make sure to watch
the FAQ's and walkthroughs when I install Xorg to make sure that
I do it right.  ^_^

Hopefully by the time I build the machine, either A) I can get
a decent nVidia card, or B) the ATI drivers will be released. ^_^

I preffer nVidia, but if the ATI drivers go open source (crossing
my fingers but not holding my breath), then that will be a good
option as well.

^_^