Denis wrote:
> SOLVED.
>
> I was able to configure and compile the kernel and configure a working
> Gentoo system that gives me no errors at boot :-)
>
> I am not sure what went wrong the first time.  I selected the same
> basic driver support within the kernel as the first time, except I
> didn't bother with some of the other bells and whistles I first had in
> there.  Perhaps now that I have a working system, I can play with the
> kernel and see what works, since I can always fall back onto a working
> kernel and still have a running system.
>
> I'm glad this is solved because I was getting really annoyed at myself
> here...
>
> Thanks to everyone who chimed in!
> -Denis

I have ran into things like this before, I usually run make mrproper
from within the kernel directory to make sure there is no old cruft
laying around in there.  After that, on a kernel upgrade of course, I
copy the .config over and run make oldconfig.  Of course, on a new
install, start from scratch.  :/

There are a LOT of people that know more about this than me but this has
worked for me so far.  Someone may have even better ideas to add.

Dale

--
www.myspace.com/-remove-me-dalek1967

Copy n paste then remove the -remove-me- part.