On Wednesday 30 May 2007 16:57, Mick wrote:
> Hi All,

[...]
> I find it confusing.  First of all I do not have a id_rsa.

it tries the default keys (id_rsa or id_dsa), if exists. if you don't want it
to try it, you can use the -i parameter to ssh pointing to your private key
(ssh -i ~/.ssh/id_dsa <user>@<server>),

> Second, my id_dsa is my private key not my public key.  My public key is
> id_dsa.pub

but you will need your private key to be authenticated. that's why it is
*private*.

> Is this a server configuration issue, or something to do with my Gentoo set
> up?

ana in the server you'll need to put your *public* key into
~/.ssh/authorized_keys file.

> PS. Not sure if this is relevant but although my user name on the server is
> mick, for reasons better known to him the sysadmin has created my home
> directory as /home/mic - could it be that sshd is looking for /home/mick?

that messages isn't from the server, is from client running locally. but it
doesnt matter for what you want.

[]'s
        .m