quoth the Denis:
> I'll have a look at Amarok.  Was XMMS removed for licensing issues?

No. It's because the code is old and unmaintained. If I had the skill I would
pick it up myself, but sadly I don't know what the heck I'm doing with it...I
am very surprised that someone has not done this as there seems to be a lot
of "take xmms out of my cold dead hands" sort of folks out there.

I am in the same boat as you, I tried audacious as a replacement but it just
wasn't working for me. I have many playlists with 1000+ songs on them, and
audacious seems to choke on them. When it doesn't outright crash the
interface freezes when I scroll the playlist and it reads the id3 tags. Makes
it all but unusable for me.

Amarok isn't my cup of tea either. I wrote my own scripts to organize my
music, and create playlists, and amarok seems to want to organize my tunes
for me. Ugh. To be fair I have not delved too deeply into all the options.
Perhaps there is a way to turn it into an xmms/audacious clone.

Perhaps xmms2 (which moves to a client/server approach) may have a similar
lightweight client to the old xmms. Running a server to simply play tunes
does seem like overkill to me though...

I'll likely get shouted down for this, but when they removed xmms from the
tree I simply deleted xmms and related packages from my world file without
actually uninstalling them. You can get away with this with emerge, but not
paludis.

So: I still use xmms, but it will be a version frozen in time for all
eternity. Sigh.

-d