On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 07:58:45PM -0700, maxim wexler wrote:
> Geert Uytterhoeven, who's listed as the author at the
> end of man fbset, pointed out that since I only have
> one video card, I only need one framebuffer, whereas I
> had two: ATI and VESA. So I reconfig'd w/o VESA and
> removed the video=vesafb... from the kernel line in
> grub.conf.
>
> Then I put fbset -a 1024x768-76 in local.start and
> rebooted. The framebuffer opens up beautifully.

Excellent :) Always helps to ask someone who known what they're
talking about

> I think I should put it in /etc/inittab but where?
> Does it matter? Or maybe it should be
> video=aty128fb...on the kernel line. Still some
> tweaking to do. But I think most of the heavy lifting
> is over.

I would have thought video=aty128fb:[EMAIL PROTECTED] in grub.conf should
do it. Have a look at /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/aty128fb.txt
for a few other options.

I wouldn't mess around with inittab if you can possibly help it.

Glad to hear it's mostly working,

-Nick

--
GPG Key : www.njw.me.uk/nick.gpg.asc     GPG Key ID: 04E4653F
  GPG Fingerprint: 9732 D7C7 A441 D79E FDF0 94F6 1F48 5674 04E4 653F