On 6/9/07, Enrico Weigelt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

What flexibility do I take away exactly ?
And what exactly gets harder ?

Automated building of dependant packages

Gentoo has a collection of magic script that do make this nice for us.

ie ( last I looked anyway ) java-config and autoconf were not binarys,
but scripts which pointed to the correct binary given the right
environment variables.

This makes the building of other packages that were invented upstream
without predicting changes in autoconf easier to maintain, instead of
having to send out a new patch every time upstream releases a
non-compatible-with-new-autoconfs version /just/ to make it work, we
just set WANT_AUTOCONF=1.4 in the environment and the appropriate
autoconf gets run, which seeems a fairly reasonable thing to do. (
otherwise the concept we have today known as a version bump would be a
whole deal harder more often)

I remeber the days of Java1.4 -> Java1.5 migration headaches before
they slotted it and created java-confing system to get around it,  boy
did it take its sweet ass time getting there ( cos there were at least
100 apps which needed 1.4 instead of 1.5, and if you compiled one of
those with 1.5 instead of 1.4, which the ebuild never expected to have
happen, due to being authored before 1.5's release , ... the entire
heirachy would break, and you'd give up and simply remove _ALL_ of
java just to keep sane, but thats not gentoos fault exactly, blame a
multitude of upstream javaheads for that )

As for gtk2-0.1 vs gtk-2.0.1, the latter is clearly a more logical
version number.
gtk2.0.1 is invalid (no - to separate version from subversion ), and
on top of that
if it was called gtk2 instead of gtk-2, it would need a separate
folder, and a completely different set of configs,

it was bad enough when php4 & php5 were different applications. Im so
glad they slotted that. Its just annoying still that due to the
massive magnitude of apps for php4/5 that they have to have a separate
_TOP_LEVEL_ dir for them all.

--
Kent
ruby -e '[1, 2, 4, 7, 0, 9, 5, 8, 3, 10, 11, 6, 12, 13].each{|x|