Hi,

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 02:43:23 +1000
Tim Allingham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I generally prefer to do this with dd, from a remote environment
>
> dd if=/dev/<source partition> of=/dev/<destination partition>

"Remote Environment" probably means a) read-only mounted root FS or b)
a boot into another instance, e.g. a live-CD, right? If you're talking
about just SSH'ing into the machine: That will probably cause the copy
to be broken (if the machine has / still mounted r/w), at least an fsck
would be needed.

Also, this method will also need a bigger or equally sized new
partition. If it's bigger, one also needs to resize the filesystem
afterwards.

-hwh