On Fri Jun  8 18:25 , Albert Hopkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> sent:

>On Fri, 2007-06-08 at 19:01 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> On Fri Jun  8 16:38 , Dale [EMAIL PROTECTED]> sent:
>

>> Yeah, that's me, I do exactly the same until you issue the cp command where
>> I do:
>> $>cd /mnt/oldstuff && tar cvjpf /pathtosomewhere/mystuff.tbz ./
>> and then extract to the new directory.  I do this out of habit mostly and,
>> yes,
>> it is a useless step unless you want to store a copy somewhere for whatever
reason...

>> --James
>
>The one thing I mentioned is that I actually pipe tar to tar (tar -c ...
>| tar -x ...) which seems even more useless, but as I said I'm used to
>doing some things out of habit.  Then I thought about why: the '-a' flag
>is not available on all *nices... I believe it's a GNU extension.  So I
>probably got used to using the tar trick on a non-GNU system and got
>used to it because it works whether I'm using Linux or not.  But if
>you're on a Linux system (that has rsync installed) then rsync is
>probably the nicer option.  It's got even more options than GNU's cp.  I
>actually 'alias cp="rsync"' on my Gentoo systems.

Ha.  This is a good day.  I have to laugh at myself for not utilizing rsync
more;
for the last few years I've just been using rsync to backup/restore my /home and
key config files to my fileserver (while at home).  Never even considered using
it for local operations.  Nice.  I have the habit, also, of using the most basic
stuff since I'm usually on all manner of UNIX{like} boxes during the day.

Thanks,
--James