Hemmann, Volker Armin ha scritto:

> I have several boot cds. And none of them booted as slow as kubuntu 7.04.

The boot cd is slow as a molasses hell, but the installed system boots
quite fast -slower than my Gentoo, but not significantly.

> nope,  what made them the 'most popular distribution' was the fact that they
> were hyped even before they released the first version. There have been other
> easy-to-use distos before and after ubuntu - and I am sure most of them would
> overtake ubuntu, if they would be hyped the same way.

I was of the same opinion, *before* trying it and using it for a year at
work. I've used a bunch of other binary distros: Mandrake, Debian,
Slackware. Still, Kubuntu beated them all. I was full of negative
prejudices, just because of the hype, like you, but I had to admit it
was a fscking good system. With quirky bugs here and there, of course.

Oh, and about the installer: well, Gentoo even hasn't a functional
graphical installer, AFAIK (the advice everyone hears on mls and forums
is: DO NOT USE THE GRAPHICAL INSTALLER! -so why ship it, if it's ~?)
Minor glitches like having to reformat a clean partition do not look
like "braindead" to me. The Slackware installer, that's just braindead
imho (even if I have fun using it).

> I don't love debian - it is just a distribution -  and I am annoyed by hype.
> Any kind of hype. I remember very well the hype around Mandrake (I got almost
> insane, when I tried it. Lots and lots of sugarly cute graphics and colours
> and no obvious way to turn it off...), I have seen the smaller hype around
> lindows, I luckily joined gentoo before the hype and I have seen ubuntu
> beeing hyped and reported as the 'bestest' distribution of all time, before
> they even released anything.

First *buntu releases were not 'bestest'. From 6.06 onward, it is at
least in the first 3 places, for me.

> from my POV (you are free to see it differently) ubuntu is not userfriendly,
> it is idiot friendly.

That's GNOME. Use KDE, and it won't be idiot friendly anymore. Kubuntu
KDE doesn't look that much different from my KDE on Gentoo, apart it's
configured a little better.

By the way: I'd love to know how is kpdf patched. I use kpdf at work
with Kubuntu and here on Gentoo, and they look pretty identical. I'm
sure you're right: I just don't know what are the differences.

m.