Hi,

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 13:21:13 -0700
Grant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> But the ping times are normal.  I'm having problems with the site
> intermittently hanging while I'm browsing, even as ping times are
> coming back normal.  That's what makes me think it should be a problem
> with the software on the server.  Does that sound right?
>
> [...]
> > does curl respond properly? , or does it just sit there waiting for
> > response?
>
> curl sits there waiting for the IP to respond.

- might be syncookies, if you have activated that
- any chance that it's the client you're using for access? Bad MTU/MSS
  settings?
- use tcpdump to inspect what's going on on the wire (best would be on
  server and client side and then compare timestamps). You get aware of
  retransmission tries and such...
- is server side name resolution working properly? Maybe something
  tries to reverse-resolve the IP address of connecting clients (though
  I don't know what should do such a thing on web server access...)

-hwh