Hi,

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 10:10:19 -0400
"Andrey Vul" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> last time I did ssh was when installing LFS; been a looong time and I forgot.
>
> Refresh my memory, please?
> I have sshd on my laptop, putty on my desktop

Just start sshd (it's usually configured to run straight out of the box
on gentoo), "/etc/init.d/sshd start", or permanently:
"rc-update add sshd default"

You can then use e.g. putty from the desktop and connect to the laptop,
providing your normal login data. You'll have a command line (_if_ the
kernel is alive and kicking), can issue the "dmesg", inspect the Xorg
log file and try to kill the running, broken X server. Basically what
you would do w/ a serial line.

-hwh