Am Donnerstag, den 14.06.2007, 16:16 +0300 schrieb Daniel Iliev:
> On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 08:25:29 +1200
> "Kent Fredric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On 6/14/07, Daniel Iliev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Hi, guys
> > >
> > > I hope some of you won't find this message too much spam-alike.
> > > Today I accidentally found there is a petition on-line [1]. It
> > > represents a request to Blizzard to include Linux installers in
> > > their products. I thought the gamers from the list might be
> > > interested in signing that petition. Even I'm not a gamer (anymore)
> > > I signed it, because I hate it when big companies ignore the Linux
> > > community.
> > >

> > > [1] http://www.petitiononline.com/ibpfl/

Even though I only play shooters now (UT series and Doom 3 [1]) - and
with increasingly larger time frames between each session - I am glad
there is pressure for Linux support. It will very surely trigger
Linux/BSD/etc. popularity, so I voted for the petition :). I hope these
kind of petitions help stop the chicken/egg problem (no support --> no
interest --> no support --> ...)

> > I argued I don't game any more _because_ of the lack of linux games
> > that were not already bored with. HIstorically, game  dev's argument
> > has been along the lines of 'if they want to game,  they'll just use
> > windows, or get a console'.
> >
> > What they don't realize, is its possible many of us have simply lost
> > interest in the gaming community simply because 'just use windows'
> > isn't really viable for most of us :P

That's one of the reasons I quit gaming. The last game I bought was
Gothic 3 (because I loved the first 2), which I never did finish. Note
that I'm a mere 20, so you'd think I'd still be into gaming ;).

[...]
> I lost my interest in games mostly because I have changed. There was a
> time I wouldn't miss a new game for any reason. Now I haven't seen yet
> even how does WOW look like. As I said it has nothing to do with Linux,
> Licenses, policy etc. I just lost the thrill as the years passed by.

This would be the other main reason I stopped gaming. Over time I just
lost interest in it. Plus, the gaming world kind of scares me... think
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/art-of-warcraft/index.php [2].

I would also like to point out that some gaming magazines are actually
pushing for native Linux support in games. I'm specifically thinking of
the German GameStar, which had 2 special issues dedicated to Linux to
date. It was the first issue with SuSE 9.1 on DVD which first got me to
try out Linux [3]. They also prefer native Linux support over Emulation,
and even said so in an editorial explicitly criticizing that some
companies are actively working toward "integration" with Cedega instead
of developing a native Linux version. Sadly, following my disinterest in
gaming, I canceled my subscription.

--
Marc Joliet

[1] Hooray for the Gentoo Games Project!!!
[2] Should I warn about possibly not work safe content here? I don't
read that column often, but am quite sure it illustrates my point.
[3] Not just me. GameStar even has a relatively active Linux Forum:
http://www.gamestar.de/community/gspinboard/forumdisplay.php?s=943350a52e1eb42ab89fa9f19e20ce57&f=45