On Sat, Jun 16, 2007 at 05:22:47PM +0000, James wrote:
> Matlab is the standard for mathematical analysis of all sorts of
> phenomenon, from a mathematical perspective.

I'm familiar with Matlab... you're the second person to mention
Octave...

> > I would like to do some analysis on these signals to see if there are
> > any interesting things that can be demonstrated - for example, if I
> > could show a strong correlation in the signals between two times, but
> > none at other times, I might be able to conclude that there was
> > communication of some description, but only for a fixed duration.
>
> Very unclear what you are saying. Are these signals related to events in
> your network? More information will help.

I agree - Not only was my post unclear, but I'm unclear about what I
want too. :-)

My data, in  reality, consists national statistics - and my
self-appointed challenge is to establish if, subject to appropriate
analysis, they will expose undocumented trends or other anomalies.  I
don't know what trends or anomalies I want to find until I discover
them... but I suspect that, once found, they'd be interesting. :-)

> 'exi octave' reveals:

Octave is a good suggestion - but probably not what I need.  I've been
pointed at "R" ( http://www.r-project.org/ ) which looks more hopeful,
though I can't find it in portage. If there were an interactive GUI to
apply standard statistical analyses to data as a front-end to R, then
that would likely be just what I want.  Failing that - just finding R
in portage would be a step forwards.

I'd be very interested to know if R has competition...