I have a network attached HP officejet 7310.
It works fine with cups as a printer but I cannot get it reognized for
scanning.  The officejet has address 192.168.1.50 on our private
network.  I have named it ss (for south salem, our home town)

Running hp-check produced several errors (full output below)

1.  libnetsnmp-devel not found.  Is this needed and if so where is it.
    eix libnetsnmp found nothing.

2.  linux standard base LSB support not found

3.  Complaint about a different print (nyu, a work machine)

4.  Complaint that the officejet is not HPLIP installed.  I could not
    figure out how to use the "hp:" backend to cups as recommended by
    hp-check.

5.  As noted in the hp-check output, the scanner cannot be found by
    scanimage -L.  I had previusly run scanimage -L manually with the
    same result.

Any help would be appreciated.  In particular I would like to

1.  Use the scanner (main problem)

2.  Have cups use the hp: backend (perhaps this will give insight on 1
    as well).

thanks,
allan

Output of hp-check

ajglap gottlieb # hp-setup

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 1.7.4a)
Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 4.5

Copyright (c) 2001-7 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the
authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication
failed
|Done.
ajglap gottlieb # hp-check

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 1.7.4a)
Dependency/Version Check Utility ver. 5.3

Copyright (c) 2001-7 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

---------------
| SYSTEM INFO |
---------------

Basic system information:
Linux ajglap 2.6.20-gentoo-r7 #3 SMP Sun May 6 17:50:09 EDT 2007 i686 Intel(R)
Core(TM)2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Detected distro (/etc/issue):
unknown 0.0

Detected distro (lsb_release):
error: lsb_release not found.

Currently installed HPLIP version...
HPLIP 1.7.4a currently installed in '/usr/share/hplip'.

Current contents of '/etc/hp/hplip.conf' file:
# hplip.conf

[hpiod]
# port=0 (dynamic IP port)
port=2208
[hpssd]
# port=0 (dynamic IP port)
port=2207

[hplip]
version=1.7.4a
jdprobe=0

[dirs]
home=/usr/share/hplip
run=/var/run
ppd=/usr/share/ppd/HP
ppdbase=/usr/share/ppd
doc=/usr/share/doc/hplip-1.7.4a

# Following values are determined at configure time and cannot be changed.
[configure]
network-build=0
pp-build=0
gui-build=0
scanner-build=1
fax-build=0
cups11-build=0
installinitd=
chkconfig=
internal-tag=1.7.4.13

HPLIP running?
Yes, HPLIP is running (OK).

HPOJ running?
No, HPOJ is not running (OK).

Checking Python version...
OK, version 2.4.4 installed

Checking PyQt version...
OK, version 3.17 installed.

Checking SIP version...
OK, Version 4.5.2 installed

----------------
| DEPENDENCIES |
----------------

Checking for dependency libcrypto - OpenSSL cryptographic library...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency gcc - GNU Project C and C++ Compiler...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency SANE - Scanning library...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency GhostScript - PostScript and PDF language interpreter
and previewer...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency libjpeg - JPEG library...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency libpthread - POSIX threads library...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency make - GNU make utility to maintain groups of
programs...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency python-devel - Python development files...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency Reportlab - PDF library for Python...
error: Not found!
This is an OPTIONAL dependency. Some HPLIP functionality may not function
properly.

Checking for dependency PyQt - Qt interface for Python...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency cups-devel- Common Unix Printing System development
files...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency ppdev - Parallel port support kernel module....
error: Not found!
This is an OPTIONAL dependency. Some HPLIP functionality may not function
properly.

Checking for dependency libusb - USB library...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency scanimage - Shell scanning program...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency libnetsnmp-devel - SNMP networking library development
files...
error: Not found!
error: This is a REQUIRED dependency. Please make sure that this dependency is
installed before installing or running HPLIP.

Checking for dependency Python 2.2 or greater - Python programming language...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency LSB - Linux Standard Base support...
error: Not found!
error: This is a REQUIRED dependency. Please make sure that this dependency is
installed before installing or running HPLIP.

Checking for dependency xsane - Graphical scanner frontend for SANE...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency cups - Common Unix Printing System...
OK, found.

Checking for dependency Python 2.3 or greater - Required for fax
functionality...
OK, found.

----------------------
| INSTALLED PRINTERS |
----------------------

lj
--
Device URI: hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_1200?serial=00CNCY161548
Installed in HPLIP? Yes

nyu
---
Device URI: socket://128.122.140.149
Installed in HPLIP? No
PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/nyu.ppd
PPD Description: HP LaserJet 4250 Postscript (recommended)
Printer status: printer nyu is idle.  enabled since Sat Apr 21 18:05:37 2007

error: Printer is not HPLIP installed. Printers must use the hp: or hpfax: CUPS
backend to function in HPLIP. (You can still print to this printer using
another backend and HPIJS.)

ss
--
Device URI: socket://192.168.1.50
Installed in HPLIP? No

error: Printer is not HPLIP installed. Printers must use the hp: or hpfax: CUPS
backend to function in HPLIP. (You can still print to this printer using
another backend and HPIJS.)

----------------------
| SANE CONFIGURATION |
----------------------

'hpaio' in '/etc/sane.d/dll.conf'...
OK, found. SANE backend 'hpaio' is properly set up.

Checking output of 'scanimage -L'...

| PYTHON EXTENSIONS |

Checking 'cupsext' CUPS extension...
OK, found.

Checking 'pcardext' Photocard extension...
OK, found.

6 errors were detected.
Please refer to the installation instructions at:
http://hplip.sourceforge.net/install/index.html