2007/6/21, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
Try using:
du -xa /boot | sort -rn
as root to locate the space hogs, which may be hidden files.  (du does "lie"
sometimes though, because the assumptions it makes about file size aren't
always true.)

tux ric # du -xa /boot | sort -rn
7283    /boot
2935    /boot/gentoo-2.6.20
2903    /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-gentoo-r7.old
993     /boot/System.map-2.6.20-gentoo-r7
345     /boot/grub
100     /boot/grub/stage2_eltorito
100     /boot/grub/stage2
56      /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-gentoo-r7
44      /boot/config-2.6.20-gentoo-r7
36      /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
12      /boot/grub/xfs_stage1_5
12      /boot/grub/reiserfs_stage1_5
8       /boot/grub/vstafs_stage1_5
8       /boot/grub/ufs2_stage1_5
8       /boot/grub/minix_stage1_5
8       /boot/grub/jfs_stage1_5
8       /boot/grub/iso9660_stage1_5
8       /boot/grub/ffs_stage1_5
8       /boot/grub/fat_stage1_5
8       /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5
4       /boot/grub/stage1
4       /boot/grub/grub.conf.sample
4       /boot/grub/grub.conf
4       /boot/grub/device.map
4       /boot/grub/default
0       /boot/vmlinuz
0       /boot/System.map
0       /boot/.keep
0       /boot/grub/menu.lst
0       /boot/config
0       /boot/boot

Ok, this shows me every file on /boot, only ~15Mb, which is more that
I had calculated before.

You might also fire up filelight and/or the file size view of konqueror
(either would also need to be as root) if you prefer a graphical view.  (They
will suffer from the same limitations as du, but their assumptions my be
different.)

Almost the same with a graphical view.

Oh, I'm not sure while filesystem you are using, but reiserfs reserves some
space for the block usage bitmap and misc. metadata, and that takes up a
number of MB.

You might be right, but still, we have found out that the files are
~15Mb, if the partition has a size of 40Mb, is it possible that
reiserfs is using almost 25Mb for storing data?