On Friday 22 June 2007 14:46, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
> At Fri, 22 Jun 2007 08:56:12 +0100 Mick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Sure, but since your device is networked and you want the full
> > functionality this will definitely require the snmp flag AND the scanner
> > flag.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
>
> Indeed the comments on this group and the hplip list have been quite
> helpful.
>
> The snmp use flag is required for a network printer (the wiki had this
> but I somehow missed it).
>
> The only problem on the gentoo end is that the ppd files are not put
> where hp-setup wants them.

I've noticed this too and it's rather annoying.

> * For the printer not so bad, since hp-setup offers a manual
>   specification ability.
>
> * For the fax, no manual specification is offer (I commented on this
>   to the hplip list) so adding a symlink is necessary
>
> Thanks for your help.  At this point I have printing (always did, but
> now the printer is using hplip) and scanning, the latter was the goal
> of the project.  The fax is recognized by hp-setup, but a complaint is
> given and I am not a heavy fax user so I am please with the output.
> I am following up the fax issue on the hplip list.

Would you perhaps write a wiki article once you've squared all the circles?

> Question:  Do you think the fact that the ppd files are not put in the
> right place for hplip is a bug I should file?

Yes, I would think so.  Ideally, the ebuild should cater for
copying/symlinking appropriate files, or at least popping up a message at
emerge time to tell you to do so manually.

Although I have emerged hplip I am not using it.  I print through cups using
hpjis.  Is there a benefit to using hplip and its tools?
--
Regards,
Mick