On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 10:28:30AM -0400, Penguin Lover David Relson squawked:
> After saving your script to /var/www/localhost/cgi-bin/makeindex.perl
> and running "chmod +x ...", I pointed firefox at
> http://localhost/cgi-bin/makeindex.perl and got the following:
>
>     Internal Server Error
>
>     The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and
>     was unable to complete your request.
>
>     Please contact the server administrator, [EMAIL PROTECTED] and inform
>     them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have
>     done that may have caused the error.
>
>     More information about this error may be available in the server
>     error log.
>
> Looking in /var/log/apache2/error_log I found
>
>     [Wed Jul 04 10:22:06 2007] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] malformed
> header from script. Bad header=<head><title>Index of /usr/sha:
> makeindex.perl
>

> Looking at other simple scripts lead me to add
>
>     print "Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1\n\n";

I doubt that his script (which he mentions is to be run in cron) is
meant to actually be placed in the cgi-bin directory for apache.

It would certainly be annoying to need to have an apache server
running just to read documentation.

When two egotists meet, it's an I for an I.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 208 days, 15:01