On 7/5/07, Paul Waring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 09:40:10PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
>   emerge is along the same lines.  "make menuconfig" is the limits of my
> expertise.  I remember "RPM hell" with Redhat linux, trying to find an
> RPM package for a program I wanted, where the developer hadn't linked it
> against a bunch of stuff I didn't have.  I can take a text-only basic
> system, "emerge gimp", and emerge will pull in and build, in the right
> order, all the necessary X libraries, GTK, etc, etc.  I end up with a
> functional TWM "desktop".  "emerge bbkeys" emerges blackbox
> key-controls... after first emerging blackbox.  Try doing that with
> RPMs.

What makes you think that you can't do that with RPMs now? Seven years
ago they were a nightmare but things have moved on since then. The same
goes for deb files (can't think of any other major ones off the top of
my head).

Paul

* Binary Dependency
* No USE
* Binary Dependency Breaks = No solution other than choose which of
the 2 programs you want to lose.
* Forceful ignorance of binary dependencies triggers stupid stuff like
spontaneous removal of all of libc.

( i think thats the sort of headaches he was referring to with rpm-hell )

Conclusion on binary based distros:
   wait for upstream to fix.
Conclusion on source based distros:
   you can fix it yourself, and today.

I'd rather be able to have breakages I can work around  ;)

So not only is gentoo healthy, imo, its a very healthy test-bed for
the whole world of OSS.

--
Kent
ruby -e '[1, 2, 4, 7, 0, 9, 5, 8, 3, 10, 11, 6, 12, 13].each{|x|