On 7/18/07, Hendrik Boom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 12:49:21 -0500, Dan Farrell wrote:

> it takes just as much power to
> spin up the drive as to keep it spinning for a few extra minutes.

So ... spin it down after a few more minutes?

-- hendrik

No, only spin it down when the savings from the down cycle outweigh
the power cost of spinup+spindown (I don't know whether spindown uses
extra power, to "brake" the drive or anything).

Say you have a drive that uses 1W/m (huge, but I'm being merciful to
my math skills) while in usage, and requires 5W to spinup.  If you're
going to  shut it down for 1m, you're looking at saving 1W and using
5, net use of 4, when leaving it spinning would only use 1.  However,
if it's going to be inactive for 30 min, you're using 5 and saving 30,
net savings of 25.

--
Ryan W Sims