<snip>

If anyone has time to change XSESSION="Xsession" and log on to their
machine as a new user I would be grateful to hear what results they
get. I can't help wondering if this is a little-tested option and
can't help hoping it's broken globally.

Did so - changed DISPLAYMANAGER="xdm" and XSESSION="Xsession", and I
get the same login scenario that you described - ugly (yup, that's xdm
all right), proceeds to a Session Menu dialog with Load Session,
Delete Session, and Default/Fail Safe as options. I select
Default/Fail Safe, and I then have to place the xsm window and then an
xterm window, and everything seems as I would expect from twm.

A few questions:

1.  Once you are logged in, if you left or right-click on the gray
background, do any options come up?
2.  What is the output of emerge -pv twm xsm xterm
3.  Any output from revdep-rebuild -p -v?

-James