On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 08:49 +0200, Luigi Pinna wrote:
> That is no true.
> If you copy your old .config and give make, the make asks you for all
> new options (I think "that" is the right one make oldconfig)
> Luigi

No. What you seeing is a little different.  If you read the Makefile:

# If .config is newer than include/config/auto.conf, someone tinkered
# with it and forgot to run make oldconfig.
# if auto.conf.cmd is missing then we are probably in a cleaned tree so
# we execute the config step to be sure to catch updated Kconfig files
include/config/auto.conf: $(KCONFIG_CONFIG) include/config/auto.conf.cmd
        $(Q)$(MAKE) -f $(srctree)/Makefile silentoldconfig
[...]

So you're basically running [silent]oldconfig... But, e.g., if you
happen to

# mv /path/to/old/.config .config
# make

(or similar) then oldconfig doesn't get run and you don't get to choose
new kernel options.  Anyway I still hold that oldconfig is the safe bet.

--
Albert W. Hopkins