On 2007-07-23, Zsitvai János <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Have you actually measured the gain? Emerge some thing with
> Os, qsize the package, emerge it with O2, qsize again? I went
> back to O2 from Os when it became apparent that the resulting
> binaries were actually _larger_. On every single package I
> tried.

I haven't measured it for IA32, but for a couple other
architectures I have, and -Os generated consistently larger
code than -O2.  Using -O3 ballooned up to be quite a bit larger
than both -Os and -O2, but if you're worried about size, -O2
usually seems to be the best choice.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! ... this must be what
                                  at               it's like to be a COLLEGE