On 7/25/07, Florian Philipp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi!

I'd like to know what's the current best practice to handle a hotswapable
SATA-drive. It's the optical drive of my Dell Latitude D520 laptop, the so
called Media Bay.

If I plug it in while the system is online, it is not recognized. Under normal
circumstances (e.g. coldplugged) it works fine.

Thanks in advance!

Florian Philipp

IF your system fails to recognize it on plug you may have an
older/noconformant controller or missing appropriate kernel
modules/drivers to govern them.

Reccommnended Install Procedure
1. Plug in data cable
2. Plug in power cable
3. Check dmesg
4. check /dev/ for new node ( udev should make one )
5. Mount

Removal
1. Unmount
2. Remove power
3. remove data.

( Although For me I think both work, its just I know that the power
connector is the one with all the different pin lengths allowing the
drive to say "ok, see you later" before it powers off )
--
Kent
ruby -e '[1, 2, 4, 7, 0, 9, 5, 8, 3, 10, 11, 6, 12, 13].each{|x|