On 7/26/07, Colleen Beamer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Kent Fredric wrote:

> Does your CDROM drive have a dedicated headphone socket?, if so, plug
> it in and see if you get any sound.
> My personal suggestion : ditch kscd. My cd player/sound system works
> fine, and kscd just thrashes doing the exact same thing you did ( I
> removed my audio cable to ensure proper digital extraction... it just
> didn't play ball )
<snip>

> Amarok should also  be able to play CD's digitally via Xine ( tested
> here to work )
Any of you guys fans of animated flicks?  Remember in the first Aladdin
movie when Aladdin dupes the genie into an extra wish and the genie
says, "Boy do I feel stupid"?  Well that's me.

What can I say, I'm a creature of habit.  I have always used kscd to
play audio CD's, but I'm a big fan of amaroK for playing my music
collection.  However, amaroK worked fine to play an audio CD.  I really
don't understand what the  me, but it doesn't really matter.  In the
end, I can do what I wanted to do!

Thanks everyone for their patience.  Gentoo is not only the *best*
distribution IMHO, but the participants on the gentoo-user mailing list
are the *absolute best* - much better than some of the distro-specific
mailing lists that I participated in before I "saw the light" and
switched to Gentoo!

Thanks again!

Colleen

In essence, KSCD by default uses analog mode, which transfers the
audio via an   extra  4/3 wire cable directly to your sound card,
which uses 0 CPU to do so( it merely sends an 'ok, play this'
instruction like you would a stereo and the drive handles the rest).
For some unknown reason, KSCD's digital mode, which works by reading
the bitstream off the  CD via good-ol 40/80 wire and processing it,
and then transporting it to the sound card via the CPU, is broken, its
not a hardware problem, just KSCD.

Normally KSCD would work fine, as most desktops come with the
appropriate sockets, and most cdrom drives provide the appropriate
cable, for it to just work.

But it would seem your laptop lacks the 4-wire connection bridging the
cdrom to the sound card, for whatever reason, and as KSCD is broken in
the digital department.

So the only solution lies in using some other form of digital
extractor, and in the case of amaroK .. this is most likely the XINE
library ( which is a bit more tested than KSCD most likely )

Hope you enjoy musicy goodness.

Amarok is incomparable to anything on earth :D

--
Kent
ruby -e '[1, 2, 4, 7, 0, 9, 5, 8, 3, 10, 11, 6, 12, 13].each{|x|