On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 20:22:07 +0000 (UTC), james wrote:

> For now the system is booting to a console prompt. I'm looking
> for a guide that tells you how to test xorg.conf configs
> and recover without having to reboot (powercycle) the system.
>
> I've never seen starting up X/kde cause a system to hang before...

Is the whole system handing, or just X? Do you have a networked computer
you can SSH in from, that would enable you to kill X. If all else fails,
and provided you have enabled CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ in your kernel, hold
down Alt and SysReq/PrtScr and press S, U and B in turn to reboot
(reasonably) cleanly. Pausing a couple of seconds between each key is
probably a good idea.

--
Neil Bothwick

And God said "Let there be light" and there was light.
There was still nothing, but you could see it better.