On 8/1/07, James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Kent Fredric <kentfredric <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

> > > X/kde runs fine, but when I exit it now, the system latches up, tight
> > > all ssh sessions, the console, everything.
>
> Now X/kde will not start. Everything latches up as soon as I enter
> 'startx' at the console.
>
> > Try Disabling anything fancy ( ie: composite support ), or try
> > disabling APIC. I had a glitch a while back where composite + apic =
> > system lockup, and later, something in QT4 tripped it up.

No, not  ACPI , APIC

in kernel menuconfig:

 Processor Types and Features ->
    Local APIC support on uniprocessors [ not checked ] ( CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC )

I have it off, and its left off, saves me headaches and needless hell.

     > I have no ide how to  diable 'composite support'.
> When the system was ordered it was specified 1680x1050 on the
> 17 inch screen resolution. The few times (sporadically) I did
> get X/kde to launch, it was is 1024x768 mode. I cold not build
> a working xorg.conf file, so I boot up the liveCD 2007.0 can
> copied over the default xorg.conf that at least worked with the
> liveCD. My suspicion is that xorg.conf file, particularly the
> Hortz and Vert ranges:
>  HorizSync    28.0 - 96.0
>  VertRefresh  50.0 - 75.0
>
> Or maybe it the long list of fonts from the xorg.conf file on the livecd2007.0
> and I have not installed all of those fonts?
>
> What I need a very simple xorg.conf for a HP Pavilion dv9000z.
> Googling I found a couple but they did not work and hacking
> xorg.conf files has always seem to be a moving target for me....
>

> I eliminated acpid from the startup, it made no difference:
> rc-update del acpid default
>
> Right now I'm running 'emerge --emptytree world'
> It's on 29/862  for lack of any better ideas.
>

> James
>
> --

Kent
ruby -e '[1, 2, 4, 7, 0, 9, 5, 8, 3, 10, 11, 6, 12, 13].each{|x|
print "enNOSPicAMreil [EMAIL PROTECTED]"[(2*x)..(2*x+1)]}'