> > And I still think nvidia cards are crap!

What is that statement based on?  I have been running nothing BUT
Nvidia cards under Linux and did not have a single issue with them.

When I update the nvidia driver, I generally prefer to do the following:

1. Shut down X and remove xdm from the default runlevel to prevent it
from re-starting.
2. Remove the nvidia module currently running from the kernel
3. Emerge nvidia-drivers package
4. Launch the new nvidia driver via modprobe
5. Attempt startx to see if X loads without complaints
6. Add xdm back to the default runlevel and resume normal operation.

Regards,
-Denis