> > > I just installed an AMD64 Athlon X2 cpu on my motherboard which was
> > > previously running an AMD64 Sempron.  Now I get an error about an
> > > unknown processor from the BIOS.  I can't even boot to a CD or run the
> > > BIOS setup.  How can I flash the BIOS from this position?
> > >
> > > - Grant
> >
> > First what the relation with Gentoo ? So i made this thread OT...
> > And so, are you sure that your M/B is compatible with Athlon X2 ?
> > I think you have to make your checks before trying to flash your BIOS,
> > despite
> > of I think that this work will be very hard because to flash your BIOS need
> > run some instruction, and without a processor it will be hard !
> >
> > But you can try to flash it with your old processor but i don't really think
> > this will help...
> >
> IIRC, as long as a CPU fits into the socket on your motherboard, it
> should just work.  If it doesn't I wouldn't look to the bios for
> answers, but the handling of the component.  Is it possible you may
> have touched some of the contacts on the chip?  If so, your CPU may be
> fried.

This motherboard does support Athlon X2:

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=6&id=1975

When I try to start the system, I get:

Warning: Unknown Processor Revision
The processor installed in your system are of an unknown revision.
Please contact your BIOS vendor for appropriate updates.

But that motherboard doesn't appear here:

http://www.msicomputer.com/support/TechSupport.asp

I'll keep looking.

- Grant