Thierry de Coulon wrote:
Hello,

I've got an older Compaq EVO D510 desktop that I was thinking to setup as a lab machine (that should be also used by people who basicaly have no Linux knowledge). I've installed Gentoo on it and it works well but for one thing:

When I want sto shut it down, it reboots! This happens as well from KDE as from the command line with "shutdown -h now": the machine does shut down, then auto-reboots.

Have you tried just using 'init 0' rather than 'shutdown -h now'?

I've thought it might be linked to ACPI - so I added noacpi acpi=off (I don't know why but it seems I need both to make grub understand) and now it shuts down and stpos, but does not turn off... and if I push the power button, it reboots.

I'd say check in your BIOS to see what power options there are - some BIOSes can change the action on receiving a power button signal.

Just now I'm thinking I should look if APM is compiled into the kernel, I did a genkernel all so I assume it is.

If you have the time, building your own kernel might help.

Any idea as to what other possibilities exist to tell that machine just to shut down and turn off?

Thierry

I'd leave ACPI in place if I were you - it's more modern than APM. Check if there's a newer BIOS for your board. It's always a possibility (albeit a long shot) that the current BIOS has some sort of ACPI bug that prevents it from behaving properly in this situation.