On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 00:25 -0700, Alan wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 02:43:04PM +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> > Been struggling with a new script I'm porting over from bash because
> > perl's DBI is much more elegant than my previous usage of sqsh.
> >
> > I'm having trouble converting from a datetime into a unix epoch
> > timestamp.
> >
> > under bash, this is done.
> >
> > date = YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS
> > epoch_date = date -d "$date" +%s
> >
> > $date
> > Mon Aug 13 14:39:48 MYT 2007
> > $date -d "2007-08-13 14:39:48" +%s
> > 1186987188
> >
> > Under perl, I have no idea how this can be achieved.
> > Neither localtime, timelocal or AFAICT, DateTime can achieve this
> > easily.
>
> Maybe I'm confusing what you're looking for, but a look at 'perldoc
> DateTime' shows that the perl DateTime module has a 'epoch' function:
>
>          $epoch_time  = $dt->epoch;
>          # may return undef if the datetime is outside the range that is
>          # representable by your OS's epoch system.

Yepp.. It's fine to get the current time's epoch via DateTime.

What I want is actually to convert from a datetime into an epoch..

eg: User supplied Datetime = "2007-08-13 14:39:48"
I want that Datetime converted into an Epoch Format.

> As another OOT suggestion, check out Class::DBI as something even more
> elegant than DBI.  I've been using it for the last year or so and LOVE
> it's simplicity and OO-ness compared to DBI.

Will loook into it, _after_ I settled all these date/time issues which
is driving me a bit nutty.