Three of my systems are having package management trouble.  One of the
systems does this after revdep-rebuild:

All ebuilds that could satisfy "=sys-devel/gcc-4.1.1" have been masked.

but I don't know why it wants a masked version of gcc.  Another system
wants to unmerge a bunch of crucial stuff with --depclean, including:

x11-base/xorg-x11
selected: 7.1
protected: none
omitted: none

x11-apps/xdm
selected: 1.0.5
protected: none
omitted: none

If I do a pretend emerge of xorg-x11 and xdm, it want to upgrade a
bunch of packages but 'emerge -pDuN world' find nothing.  I have this:

# equery depends xorg-x11
[ Searching for packages depending on xorg-x11... ]
virtual/x11-7.0-r2 (>=x11-base/xorg-x11-7)

The other system outputs a bunch of libtiff.la stuff about ImageMagick like:

broken /usr/lib/ImageMagick-6.2.2/modules-Q16/filters/analyze.la
(requires /usr/lib/libtiff.la)

but then says there is nothing to rebuild.  Can anyone help with
fixing these problems?

- Grant