I updated to the new gnome.  After battling the expat problem, I was
able to get a clean emerge and an empty revdep-rebuild (with Bo's
help).

But gnome is broken on this system (others have reported similar
problems).

In my case basically all gnome apps, e.g. panel, gnucash, evolution,
gnome-terminal, evince fail when a normal user logs in.

With a root login, gnome-terminal fails, but panel, gnucash, evolution
seem to work (didn't try evince as root).

For a normal user gnome login, I use either a shell in emacs or go to
a virtual terminal and start an xterm.  In any case when I try to
start a gnome app (e.g. gnucash), no output is produced, no window
appears, but the app shows up in   ps x.

I would be very appreciative for any help.

thanks in advance,
allan gottlieb