On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 14:56:13 +0200
Etaoin Shrdlu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What interfaces was the win2003 server using previously for bridging
> and connecting to the Internet?

I'm not entirely sure windows 'bridging' is equivalent to linux Ethernet
bridging.  Specifically, wouldn't linux Ethernet bridging require
external IP addresses for all the computers behind the bridge?  The
ISP's router isn't going to know how to route packets back to you on a
private address, is it?

Furthermore, don't you want a firewall between your LAN and the
internet?  Even if your ISP will hand out DHCP leases to your internal
hosts (I _think_ those will pass through an Ethernet bridge), it would
mean that all those hosts are gonna be sitting on the Internet.
Probably not an especially good idea.  Of course, you could run a
firewall on the bridge (transparent bridging firewall) but I don't
think that's wise.  For one thing, all the problems you suffer from
currently are probably going to surface again.  For another,
transparent firewalls are allegedly difficult to configure and very
tricky to troubleshoot.

At any rate, I bet the iptables module does something.  My guess is
that if you can figure out how to properly configure it, it will work
for you.  Although there's no guarantee, this is certainly something to
work on.

Another option is adding another network device to the server.  Plug
one into the ISP and two into the internal switch.  Bridge the external
and one internal.  Firewall the other internal.  Route phone traffic to
the bridge, rest through the firewall.  I don't know if that's just a
hairbrained scheme or would actually work, but am interested in your

Best of luck, and thanks for replacing windows ; ) it makes me happy.