On Sun, 2007-08-19 at 20:44 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 18, 2007 at 11:57:02PM +0200, b.n. wrote
> > Walter Dnes ha scritto:

> > By the way, why suspend-to-ram is second choice? Shouldn't it be
> > much faster? I don't know that much about suspend issues (heck,
> > I even don't have a laptop), so I'd like to know.
>
>   The whole point behind the excercise is to conserve energy.  Suspend
> to ram means that the ram has to be kept powered, so it's a low-power
> state.  I want a no-power state, i.e. I want to be able to shut down,
> pull the plug out of the wall, go away for the week end, plug it back in
> and reboot on Monday to find that everything is where I left it.
>
> --
> Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
> Q. Mr. Ghandi, what do you think of Microsoft security?
> A. I think it would be a good idea.

and to add to it, two laptops (one dell and one sony) I have experience
with sus to ram is they both only run for 30 hours or so - max.

Useless for weekends, or sometimes if you cant access the machine for a
day or two unexpectedly.

Sus2ram is great for moving a few rooms away, but sus to disk is
essential fr anything else and still being able to trust that things
will be the way you left them in unexpected situations.

BillK

--
William Kenworthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Home in Perth!