On 8/20/07, Dan Cowsill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I started having problems with my boot password not too long after I
> changed it and I stumbled upon something altogether weird.
>
> The following is a copy of what grub is giving me for an md5 hash:
>
> --
>
> grub> md5crypt
>
> Password: ****
> Encrypted: $1$vhwK6$dV.xpYBymjq7.cZVnFZYe0
>
> grub> md5crypt
>
> Password: ****
> Encrypted: $1$miwK6$BKU11//PyeKMxtgiCbEeZ0
>
> grub> md5crypt
>
> Password: ****
> Encrypted: $1$njwK6$3KqXwDtPqGm6cBGQgSl2.0
>
> grub> md5crypt
>
> Password: ****
> Encrypted: $1$YkwK6$QCQguFhrGofbJXYnA62J91
>
> grub>
>
> --
>
> Now, keep in mind that the word I'm typing is 'test'.  No
> capitalization, no spaces, no nonsense.  And yet the hashes md5crypt
> returns are all different.  Now, that's no good if you ask me.

These are all password-recognizers, not md5 hash strings (ok, they are
in part).

The $1$ identifies a salt lead-in, the next part is the salt for your
password (generated randomly) up to the next $, then the hash of your
password + salt (to the end of the string).  Given the secret salt,
Grub (or anything else using this method) can combine it with the
candidate password and check the hash.  But since the salt is random
you get a different hash every time.

This behavior is desirable in case you have two or more password
recognizers in the same config file (or in files accessable to the
same untrusted reader).  It prevents identical passwords from being
detected (as you demonstrated) by reading the recognizer strings.

So no, not broken, just not what you expected.