On 9/3/07, Alan E. Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thank you.  I have solved the problem for now, but live in fear that there
> is something untoward going in on my hardware.

Quite possible.  It can also be caused by misconfiguring kernel
drivers.  I recently (accidently) selected the ATI agpart driver
instead of the Intel driver.  Most drivers correctly detect when their
corresponding device isn't present, but this one gamely tried to
manage the AGP bridge and fouled up memory whenever X started...

So you may want to review your kernel config and make sure you have
all the devices you're attempting to use.