Dan Farrell wrote:
On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 14:01:08 -0400

I was only trying out Amarok.

What did you think?  I thought it was super cool, except it's resource
utilization is so high i don't run it anymore if I can avoid.

I thought it looked interesting, but much more then I really need.
Took a while for playback getting started when I put a music CD in the player.
Like the capabilities of Internet radio, played with a bit, before removal.

I suspect they aren't sending the information via icmp, so just the
fact that the server is "pingable" really doesn't provide useful
information in this particular case.

yeah, but it is a lot more likely that the server would be down than
that it's just misconfigured.  servers go down all the time; they are
generally seldom administered.  so it seems to me a ping is a good
first step in testing access to these servers.  im guessing CDDB does
use IP, so if icmp can get through, so can tcp (udp,or any other
protocols encapsulated in ip).

Audacious works fine on info retrieval, Amarok only worked a short bit, even when both installed together. Still tend to think that something was not right when the package was emerged.
Anyway, I will stick with Audacious for now.