Hello Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto,

> There is a equery command for that... equery check if memory serves.
> But I issued this command some days ago and it always reports some
> files as different... so I guess it is normal for one or two files out
> of 1000 in a package to be modified without Portage knowing... but I
> want to know about the packages that were modified *because of the
> corruption.*, not the ones that were modified because of other
> reasons...

That should be fairly easy to tell by looking at the list. Binary files
should not file the test, but data and configuration files may.

> Too bad it does not apply to files not managed by Portage.
> Hum, perhaps I should have made checksums of my personal data?
> Obviously, nothing substitutes a backup, but for data that is not worth
> backing up (because it is huge - thus costly to back up - and I can
> withstand a small chance of losing said data, since I can obtain it
> again; a rip of a DVD movie for example) I could at least save
> checksums, so if the file gets corrupted, at least I'll know...

That's why I keep this sort of data on a separate filesystem from home. I
already have backups of my music and video collection, the original
discs, but things like work, accounts and emails need to be backed up
regularly. Excluding replaceable data from /home makes the backup process
much easier.

--
Neil Bothwick

Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.