on 09/12/2007 01:08 AM Jesús Guerrero wrote the following:
> <snip>
>
> That means that the package
>
> 1.- it is not in the world file (/var/lib/portage/world), _and_
> 2.- it is not a dependency of any package that is on the world file
>
> That could happen for many reasons. For example, if acpid was
> installed as a dependency of a given package, and that package
> has been uninstalled.
Maybe.
>  If can also happen if you emerged it with
> -1 or --oneshot.
I don't think I did.
> It can also be just a case of corruption in the
> world file. It can happen.
Maybe it has never been in there.

> The solution is as easy as to emerge that package again, without
> --oneshot, so it will be added to the world file.
I think that is not the correct action for something that is normally
pulled in as a dependency, right?

# emerge -pve gnome > gnome
# grep -i acpi gnome
[ebuild   R   ] sys-apps/hal-0.5.9-r1  USE="acpi crypt disk-partition
-debug -dell -doc -pcmcia (-selinux)" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] gnome-base/gnome-applets-2.18.0-r2  USE="acpi apm gnome
hal ipv6 -debug -doc -gstreamer" 0 kB
#

See the acpi dependency?  Is that supposed to work without acpid?