From: Daevid Vincent [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 3:47 PM
To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
Subject: [gentoo-user] root can't login on console, but can ssh...

I have a LAMP development VMWare setup so that I can login as root sans
password.

This was working fine until something recently changed that.
It doesn't even prompt for the password, it just timesout after x
seconds.

Oddly I can ssh in as root (without the password as expected).

I have my "daevid" account without password and that logs in fine on the
console and ssh.

I can circumvent this behaviour by logging in as 'daevid', then 'sudo su
-' (which doesn't prompt for pw either), but I'd like it to work the way
it did.

Perhaps it was some PAM thing? Or login.defs? Or in pam.d/ ?

LAMP pam.d # cat login
#%PAM-1.0

auth       required     pam_securetty.so
auth       required     pam_tally.so file=/var/log/faillog onerr=succeed
no_magic_root
auth       required     pam_shells.so
auth       required     pam_nologin.so
auth       include      system-auth

account    required     pam_access.so
account    include      system-auth
account    required     pam_tally.so deny=0 file=/var/log/faillog
onerr=succeed no_magic_root

password   include      system-auth

session    required     pam_env.so
session    optional     pam_lastlog.so
session    optional     pam_motd.so motd=/etc/motd
session    optional     pam_mail.so

# If you want to enable pam_console, uncomment the following line
# and read carefully README.pam_console in /usr/share/doc/pam*
#session    optional    pam_console.so

session    include      system-auth

LAMP ~ # cat /etc/securetty
# /etc/securetty: list of terminals on which root is allowed to login.
# See securetty(5) and login(1).
console
pts/0
pts/1