On 9/17/07, Mark Knecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 9/16/07, Randy Barlow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Mark Knecht wrote:
> > > I have seen messages when starting a moving about not
> > > having a required AC3 codec, which I suppose is somewhere in
> > > win32codecs which is installed.
> > >
> > >    Here are the current flag settings. I'm wondering if there was a
> > > flag change that I didn't catch? What are -a52 and -aac?
> >
> > This page is for MPlayer, but the flags should have similar meanings:
> >
> > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Emerge_MPlayer
> >
> > Notice that it says a52 is needed for AC3.  Hope this helps!
> >
> > --
> > Randy Barlow
>
> Thanks Randy. That was it. DVDs play nicely again.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

Randy,
   It seems I spoke too soon. Both machines had problems. I did the
update on my Gentoo AMD64. It worked and I responded to your email.
I've now done the flag change on the x86 but it still refuses to
provide sound for movies.

   I notice looking at the flags that the x86 is using win32codecs
while the AMD64 isn't so I rebuilt the x86 without win32codec support.
Unfortunately it didn't fix the problem on that box.

   I've copied the current flag sets below. Any other ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

   For the AMD64:

lightning ~ # emerge -pv xine-ui xine-lib

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] media-video/xine-ui-0.99.5  USE="X ncurses nls
readline -aalib -curl -debug -libcaca -lirc -vdr -xinerama" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/xine-lib-1.1.8  USE="X a52 alsa dts dvd
flac gnome gtk ipv6 jack mad nls opengl oss real sdl truetype v4l
vorbis xv -aac -aalib (-altivec) -arts -debug -directfb -dxr3 -esd
-fbcon -imagemagick -libcaca -mmap -mng -modplug -musepack -pulseaudio
-samba -speex -theora -vcd (-vidix) -wavpack (-win32codecs) -xcb
-xinerama -xvmc" 0 kB

Total: 2 packages (2 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 kB
lightning ~ #

dragonfly ~ # emerge -pv xine-ui xine-lib

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] media-video/xine-ui-0.99.5  USE="X ncurses nls
readline -aalib -curl -debug -libcaca -lirc -vdr -xinerama" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/xine-lib-1.1.8  USE="X a52 alsa dts dvd
flac gnome gtk ipv6 jack mad nls opengl oss sdl truetype v4l vorbis
win32codecs xv -aac -aalib (-altivec) -arts -debug -directfb -dxr3
-esd -fbcon -imagemagick -libcaca -mmap -mng -modplug -musepack
-pulseaudio -real -samba -speex -theora -vcd -vidix -wavpack -xcb
-xinerama -xvmc" 0 kB

Total: 2 packages (2 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 kB
dragonfly ~ #