On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, John Blinka wrote:
> I think it happens when booting, but I see this message in the system log:
>
> Sep 23 21:12:01 tobey rc-scripts: ERROR:  cannot start nfs as
> rpc.statdcould not start

John, I've hesitated to join this thread because I haven't felt I've been able
to throw any light on your problem - just hoped that you'd get some
resolution that I could then apply to my own situation which is very similar
to yours ... but as it's not looking so "rosy" maybe my experience may spark
some other avenue to explore?

I've been running an amd64 nfs mount successfully for some months on this
machine until around about mid August (difficult to tell exactly when as I
had temporary wireless network about then because of building alterations)
but from that point on have had major problems trying to mount the nfs
directory.  No point in going though all the error codes etc. again as they
are pretty similar to yours - main one is always "mount: RPC: Timed out", but
I have variations.  Like you I _never_ get it to mount from boot as it always
did in earlier days: now, with a bit of patience, and re-running nfs,
nfsmount - and sometimes portmap scripts, I can sometimes get it to mount.
Sometimes I can get it to mount using the manual mount command.  Other times
it just plain refuses to do anything until I go away for an hour or so - then
come back and take it by surprise with nfsmount or manual mount and wham, bam
we're away laughing!  Or sort of.

I've googled extensively and followed up avenue after avenue, wiki after wiki:
I've recompiled nfs-utils, portmap, baselayout.  I've altered hosts.allow and
hosts.deny, etc., etc., and then tried all Emil's suggestions as on this
thread.  But I still get nowhere, and I think I've now spent so much time on
it that I really can't see the wood for the trees!  It's obviously something
so simple, but I just can't see it.  Feel a bit of a prat, but this morning
was the last straw when I thought I'd better join your thread: no success
until I left it and went away for an hour - then came back and
input "mount -t nfs 192.168.0.216:/usr/portage /mnt/nfs_portage/" and away we
went. All ok, just in time for a cronjob emerge --sync.

But not very satisfactory.  It's almost as though the original "mount" called
by the scripts and earlier efforts takes some time to "die", and a fresh
instance does the trick! But I don't know enough about the process to know if
that's so - I just seem to recall someone somewhere in my endless searches
saying something along those lines ...

Strange that it's just the two of us to be afflicted by this at about the same
time?  AAMOI have you tried taking your machine by surprise?

Bogo