On 9/26/07, Michael Schreckenbauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<SNIP>

> afaik those are all default values, except audio.alsa_hw_mixer:0.
> I don't think, that's a problem.
> Does xine play every sound through the wrong device or only DVDs (5.1)?
> Maybe there's a stale asoundrc in your home, somehow
> redirecting "plug:surround51:0" to the second device?
>
> I'm out of ideas now, it seems :(
>
> Regards,
> Michael

Hi Michael,
   Thanks for responding.

   As I stated in the original thread, long since cast the the email
bone pile, the only application that seems to have a problem on this
machine is xine. Aqualung (an audio file & CD player) sends audio to
the Intel chip. mplayer, playing DVDs, sends audio to the Intel chip.
Only xine by default is sending audio to the external USB converter.
The problem in xine is not specific to DVDs. It does the same thing
playing CDs.

   Note that with Aqualung I can reroute audio to the external USB
converter by purposely routing audio to the ':1' sound device, exactly
as Alsa should perform I believe.

   As far as I can tell the machine has neither an asound.state file
or any .asoundrc files:

dragonfly ~ # slocate .asoundrc
dragonfly ~ # slocate asound.state
/var/lib/alsa/asound.state
dragonfly ~ #

   Also, the problem is not specific to a user. It happens in my
account, my wife's account and my son's account. It seems to be a
global issue.

   As background, I have a second machine with dual sound cards. It
has the same generic Intel HDA audio device in it. It's second sound
card is an RME HDSP9652. xine works fine on that machine. Audio goes
to the Intel chip as it should.

   I'm at a complete loss on this one. It's starting to feel as if it
might be an Alsa issue and specific to USB audio. As I've gotten no
response from the xine-users list and this seems to be beyond the
typical Gentoo issue I suppose I might try those folks, assuming no
one else here has any experiments for me to try.

   Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,
Mark