On 9/22/07, Mark Knecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Is there a GUI app that can display the hierarchy in a large zip file
> maybe hundreds of directories, tens of thousands of files
> and a couple of gigs of zip - without actually unzipping the archive
> and using up both time and disk space.

Any app which looks inside the archive will have to unpack it,
but it does so in  /tmp  rather than in your own working dirs,
then displays the result in one of its panels.
>From there you can copy any of the contents to a dir of your choice,
where it becomes a real dir/file you can manipulate at will.

Krusader (needs some KDE) is probably the most powerful file manager around.
I used it recently to look inside a Stage-3 tarball ( .tar.bz2 ):
it took perhaps  1 min  to display contents of the  120 MB  archive.
The manual is very good (with a few errors here & there).

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : [EMAIL PROTECTED]