On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 20:15:04 +0100
Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello Grant,
>
> > For now I think I'll do /etc, /root, /home, /var/lib/portage/world,
> > /usr/src/linux/.config, and anything specific I might need in
> > /usr/local.  What else am I missing out on in /var?
>
> Other data in /var/lib. For example, any databases kept
> in /var/lib/mysql.

BIND, Apache, various mailing programs, at, Xauth, logs if you want to
know what happened on a particular computer six months from now (hard
to foresee this kind of thing).  I think you can clear out /var/tmp if
you wish.  Also many of the logs can be cleared and such.  After
clearing all the data you don't need (be careful; some data is
important to portage), you shouldn't have too much more than a few
hundred megs, pretty much all highly compressable text.