On Tuesday 02 October 2007, Alexander Skwar wrote:
> Hello.
>
> When X.Org 1.4 first hit the portage tree, I masked it, as I had quite
> some problems getting it to work work with my Nvidia graphics "card".
> I decided to stay with 1.3.0.0 for the time being.
>
> Now x11-base/xorg-server-1.4-r2 is in the tree. And also a new version
> of nvidia-drivers (nvidia-drivers-100.14.19).
>
> Does anyone know, if it's now "safe" to use xorg 1.4 with nvidia-drivers?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alexander Skwar

I run a ~x86 system on which I had quite some troubles with 1.4.0 when I tried
it shortly after the new nVidia drivers shipped.  I haven't tried 1.4.0-r1
yet.

I'm sure the problems I was seeing were unrelated to the nVidia driver.  I had
symptoms very similar to this guy:
http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-user-de/msg_38486.xml

To revert to a working system (on ~x86) I added the following to
packages.mask:
>=x11-base/xorg-server-1.3.9
~x11-base/xorg-x11-7.3
>=x11-proto/renderproto-0.9.3