First of all, i'd like to point that i had started the ssh daemon and reset
the root password from the beginning. However, after repeated failures i
solved this by connecting using the ip instead of the hostname.

ssh [EMAIL PROTECTED] instead of ssh [EMAIL PROTECTED]

thanks for all your replies

Rafael