Philip Webb schrieb:
071007 Chuanwen Wu wrote:
The chipset is ICH8.
So,is there anyway you see I can install gentoo on my machine?

You have an informed reply re your Dell, which I don't know,
but more generally you could try to install from Knoppix
-- that's what I used when I installed my current system 4 years ago --
or the simple but powerful System Rescue ( http://www.sysresccd.org/ ),
which I plan to use when I install Gentoo on my soon-to-be-built box
(it actually mentions installing Gentoo as a good use in its docs).
I made a Gentoo Live CD for 'amd64', but am not impressed:
unlike the other two, it couldn't use my full monitor resolution
& it also boots into a Gnome desktop (ugh & grin).

Don't forget that you need a AMD64 livecd if you want to install an AMD64 system. There is no such thing like Knoppix64 but you should be fine with every other livecd, for example Ubuntu64 CDs.